10 Types of Non-Functional Testing
Non-functional testing is a method of software testing that handles non-functional parameters such as reliability, load test, performance, usability, scalability, and reliability of a software product, mostly those not covered by functional testing.
While functional testing verifies what software does, non-functional testing verifies the way software should behave and how well it works. Non-functional testing is just as important as functional testing because both ensure that a software product is working as it should and that it meets customer/user expectations.
These types of testing have significant effects on customer satisfaction and improves the market value of software products. It is important for a software application to be tested in line with non-functional requirements to avoid negative customer experience especially amidst irregular scenarios.
Issues such as: how the application perform under normal circumstances, when too many users login concurrently or how the application handle stress, security as well as recovery from any disaster etc., are handled during non-functional testing.
Some of the parameters to be tested under Non Functional Testing include but not limited to the list below:
- Loading capability
10 Types of Non-Functional Testing
There are several different types of non-functional tests. The most common ones are:
- Performance Test: this is use to evaluate how a system performs in terms of responsiveness and stability under a particular workload. It handle parameters such as speed, robustness, reliability, and application size.
- Load Test: this process models the expected usage of a software application by simulating multiple users accessing the program concurrently which can produce realistic usage and load conditions, based on response times. This test can help identify potential bottlenecks.
- Stress Test: This test significantly and continuously increase the number of users by going beyond the limits of normal operation. It handle parameters such as robustness, availability, and error handling when under a heavy load.
- Volume Test: This type of testing analyzes how well a system operates under a growing volume of processed data. The software is subject to a huge volume of data to analyze the system performance.
- Security Test: this is use to uncover vulnerabilities, threats, risks in a software application to prevent malicious attacks from intruders. It handle parameters such as confidentiality, integrity, authentication, availability, authorization and non-repudiation.
- Compatibility Test: this is done to ensure an application is compatible with different computing environment including different browsers, databases, operating systems (OS), mobile devices, networks and hardware.
- Compliance Test: this is use to determine whether a software meets a defined set of internal or external standards, technical standard, contract, or regulation.
- Recovery Test: this is a forced failure of a software that is done to determine how well the software is able to recover from crashes, hardware failures and other similar problems.
- Reliability Test: this use to assure that a software can perform a failure-free operation for a specified period in a particular environment. It describes whether the software product meets the standards of functionality.
- Usability Testing: it is use to validate the human-friendliness of a software application by observing real users as they attempt to complete tasks on it.
Non-functional testing is one of the important parts of software testing because it plays a major role in the success of an application as well as meeting users’ expectations, hence, it should not be neglected. Testing cannot be considered complete without thoroughly carrying out non-functional testing.
It is therefore imperative for organizations or business owners not to leave the success of their software products to fate but endeavor to always contact a professional software testing agency like PodTech which possesses vast experience in different types of testing. We also give advice on the best strategies and make sure that the application’s quality is outstanding.