7 Benefits of Automation Testing
Software Testing is an essential part of every software development lifecycle, as it helps guarantee the quality of the software product. And in this fast-moving digital era, Automation Testing has become the new order of the day, as software delivery times have been accelerated, but not at the cost of quality.
Software testers are well aware that tests need to be repeated several times during the development cycle to ensure quality. Likewise, for every release, a software product has to be tested on all operating systems and hardware configurations. Doing all these manually can be time consuming, most times it could take several days and even at that, most delivered software always has defects – which can result to customer dissatisfaction and increased maintenance costs.
However, automation testing increases overall software development efficiency and eliminate defects associated with manually testing software product. This article will discuss benefits of automation testing, unveiling reasons it should be a unit in all development lifecycle in this modern age. But first, let define what automation software testing is.
What is Automation Testing?
Automation testing is a software testing technique that uses open source or paid automated testing tools to test software applications quickly and efficiently, without human intervention. Conversely, manual testing is performed by a human sitting in front of a computer carefully executing the test steps, trying various usage and input combinations, comparing the results to the expected behavior and recording their observations.
In other word, automation software testing is the adoption of automation tools to execute test cases instead of a human manually executing the suite by following step-by-step instructions. Therefore, the main goal of automation software testing is to reduce the number of test cases that has to run manually.
The following are some of the benefits of automation testing:
Benefits of Automation Testing
- Cost-effectiveness: while the initial investment may be on the high side, test automation saves a lot of money for the company in the longer run. Because, once you’ve created your test scripts, you can reuse them 24/7 without any additional cost, unlike manual testing that does not allow you to run repetitive tests. In fact, the cost of testing applications manually rises as time goes.
- Higher Test Coverage: one can execute thousands of varied and lengthy test cases with automation software testing, which are impossible in manual testing. Automation allows you to spend time writing new tests and adding them to your automated test suite.
- Reusable test scripts: In automated testing, the same script can be used with minor changes – which can facilitates the process of testing. Likewise, the same scripts can be stored and reused for repeating the test when the need arises.
- Immediate Feedback: With faster tests and quicker results, teams can get feedback more frequently, which helps them detect issues and improve functionality. So whenever a failure occurs, developers can react to it quickly.
- Higher accuracy: automation testing can execute tests with 100-percent accuracy as they produce the same result every time you run them.
- Higher Return on investment: Automations help businesses complete the testing process faster with greater accuracy and coverage, thereby resulting in high return of investment as well as faster time to market.
- Performs difficult test tasks: the controlled web application tests are example of tests that cannot be performed by manual testers, but can be simulated with automated testing.
It is becoming necessary for micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to automate their testing processes, and to guarantee a successful testing process, software testing must be handled by experienced and expert tester or team like Podtech.
Offering All-round Software Testing, PodTech follows a well-structured processes, tools and techniques, as well as equipped with team of software testers who are well vested in adoption of professional approach throughout the software development lifecycle, enhancing the product/project overall quality.