Critical Qualities of a Good Software Product
The goal of every software engineering process is to design and develop a good software product, one that meets all its stipulated requirements or even goes beyond it. Both developers and clients have different perspectives on what a good software should be, but they both expect quality as the end product of every software development process.
It is a fact that quality is not cheap – in terms of cost and required labor, however, possessing the fore knowledge of what a good software is, as a developer and as a client, will help smoothen the process of development as well as assure the development of a high grade product.
Aside meeting all the software requirements stipulated by the customer or end-user, to develop a good software product, there are several fundamental characteristics that should be embedded in the core of the software’s existence, however, this article will highlight just a few.
Qualities of a Good Software
These fundamental qualities are grouped into three categories:
These are functionality based qualities and the external features of software which include the following characteristics:
- Correctness: first qualifier is that a good software should meet all the requirements specifications stated by the customer.
- Usability: Users should be able to easily learn and use the system. A user-friendly software is one that users spend little amount of efforts or time to learn how to use it.
- Efficiency: This characteristic relates to the way software uses the available resources. The less resource a piece of software uses, the better. A good software should make effective use of resources such a processor, memory and disk space, and execute command as per desired timing requirements.
- Reliability: a good software should not have any defects and should be able to perform its required functions stably.
- Security: this character is very important especially with the increase in security threats nowadays. A good software shouldn’t have ill effects on data/hardware and proper measures should be put in place to keep data secure from external threats.
- Safety: a good software should not be hazardous to the environment or life.
- Transitional: this deal with the ease with which a software can moved from one platform to another. The characteristics include:
- Portability: this describe the ability of a software performing same functions across all
environment and platforms.
- Reusability: If the source code of a software is usable with or without modifications for different purpose then it can be said that the software is good. The more reusable parts that a piece of software has, the better.
- Interoperability: this is the ability of software to successfully exchange information with other software and make efficient use of the information.
- Maintenance: These are engineering based factors that certify the interior qualities of the software, before it could be termed good. These characteristics are:
- Modularity: units and modules are the makeup of any software, each different from the other and can exist independently – all put together to give the final software. A good software product should have high modularity in a way that the software can easily be divided into separate independent parts to easy the process of modification and testing.
- Maintainability: this is the ease with which a software product can accommodate new changes to satisfy new requirements or to correct deficiencies. A good software product must evolve with changing requirements, and it maintenance should be easy for all kind of users.
- Flexibility: a software is flexible if the process required for adding or modifying or removing a software’s functionality is easy and without it hampering current operation of the software. This is a little bit similar to maintainability, however, while flexibility focuses on major functional extensibilities, maintainability is more about modification of the error and minor corrections.
- Scalability: this is the ability of a software to handle increasing or decreasing resources or data including, transaction, services, memory, etc. A good software should be built in such a way makes it very easy to upgrade, seamlessly supporting more workloads such as more number of users or processing tasks.
In Software Development, the quality of a software product is everything, although any developer or team of developers can develop a software, it takes experience and expertise to develop a good software product.
Podtech is known for the delivery of software products that are outstanding and built using the above mentioned characteristics and qualities as benchmarks. With software development expertise that cut across mobile, web based, cloud, desktop, embedded systems and other platforms, we meet clients’ demands and specifications in a way that makes it easy for clients to fund their projects, avoid resource wastes, get future-proof solutions, scale optimally and maintain their business values.