Pod Technologies – SCAQMD Rules 1146 & 1146.1
On September 05, 2008, South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) ammended rules for emissions of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) from industrial, institutional, and commercial boilers, steam generators, and process heaters.
Large and small natural gas-fired boilers, steam generators, and heaters currently are required to meet a NOx emission limit of 30 parts per million (ppm). Beginning in January 2012, large and small natural gas-fired units are required to meet new, more stringent NOx emission limits ranging from 12 ppm to 5 ppm, depending on size and type of unit. New emission limits will be phased in over three to four years depending on the size of the unit. Large and small landfill gas-fired and digester gas-fired units must meet new NOx emission limits of 25 ppm and 15 ppm, respectively.
The original amendments called for compliance testing with portable analyzers. The testing definition is now redefined as a diagnostic emission check. This was amended November 1, 2013.
Some links to information and resources on regulations, test methods, monitoring, and reporting are listed below.
- Rule 1146 – Emissions of Oxides of Nitrogen from Industrial, Institutional, and Commercial Boilers, Steam Generators, and Process Heaters. Amended November 1, 2013 (PDF, 19 pp, 174 KB)
- Rule 1146.1 – Emissions of Oxides of Nitrogen from Small Industrial, Institutional, and Commercial Boilers, Steam Generators, and Process Heaters. Amended November 1, 2013 (PDF, 17 pp, 145 KB)
- Combustion Gas Periodic Monitoring Protocol for the Periodic Monitoring of Nitrogen Oxides, Carbon Monoxide, and Oxygen from Combustion Sources Subject to Rules 1110.2, 1146, and 1146.1. Version 0.0, May 1, 2009 (PDF, 24 pp, 434 KB)
- Rule 1110.2 – All Recordkeeping Forms (XLS, 67 KB)
- Form 1: Linearity and Interference Tests Recordkeeping Form For Portable Analyzers (PDF, 1 p, 10 KB)
- Form 2: Calibration Recordkeeping For Portable Analyzers (PDF, 1 p, 13 KB)
- Form 3B: Periodic Monitoring Recordkeeping Form for Portable Analyzers (PDF, 1 p, 17 KB)
- Form 4: Stability Check Recordkeeping Form For Portable Analzyers (PDF, 1 p, 10 KB)
- Rule 1146 and 1146.1 require the portable analyzer engine tests be conducted by a person who has completed an appropriate District-approved training program in the operation of portable analyzers and has received a certification issued by the District.
- Information on Portable Emission Analyzers